Dear tourists! Due to mobile Internet outages, we have prepared a map of free Wi-Fi points.
Map of Wi-Fi points
RU CN
Login

Restaurants in houses with a history

18 August 2024

Tula is a city with a rich historical and cultural heritage, with attractions at every turn. Almost every building has a whole story behind it.

In Tula, you can find many restaurants located in houses that were built for living, commercial activities, production and more. Today, these ancient walls are filled with enticing scents and await their guests.

Karl Marx burger joint at the Goltweger house

Address: Lenin ave., 30

The house that now houses the Karl Marx burger joint was built in 1913. Abram Isaac Zelmanovich (Zakharovich) Goltweger was a Tula merchant who remained in the memory of Tula residents not only as the owner of the building, but also as the publisher of a series of postcards with views of Tula, which he published in 1910-1912.

The three-storey house with an outbuilding on the courtyard side was one of the largest apartment buildings in Tula. The ground floor of the building had two retail spaces: a dairy store and a vegetarian canteen.

Many famous residents of Tula lived in this house: chairman of the regional executive committee N.I. Chmutov, by whose surname the house was called "Chmutovsky" for some time, V.A. Legasov, an academician and scientific supervisor of the Chernobyl accident, lived in his childhood, and Honored Artist of the RSFSR Yu.V. Vorogushin also lived here.


The author's bakery-confectionery "Emile Bonte" and the refectory "Rasstegay" in the house of M.M. Beloborodov

Address: Lenin ave., 12

The house on Lenin Avenue was built at the end of the 18th century. In 1799, the owners of the house were the inventors of chromatic harmony, Tula philistines Mikhail and Semyon Nikiforovich Andreev and Matvey Makarovich Beloborodov (grandfather of Nikolai Ivanovich Beloborodov).

In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Tula merchants Vasily and Nikolai Ivanovich Liventsev became the owners of the house. The house housed the shop of the "Brothers Liventsev Trading House" and a number of other trading establishments, including the famous wine trade store, which was run by brothers Joseph and Viktor Vasilyevich Timofeevsky, in the basement facing Kievskaya Street (Lenin Ave.).


"Filippovsky By Salden.S" in the house of Filippov the baker

Address: Sovetskaya 56

The house was built in the middle of the 19th century and originally belonged to the Tula merchant Sobornov, and then Vladimirov. In 1869, the famous bakery of Ivan Maximovich Filippov, a merchant from Moscow and St. Petersburg, opened here. Filippov's bakery was a large enterprise and until 1918 produced up to 148,202 poods of bakery and confectionery products. The Filippovs were very careful about the reputation of their company and used only the best grains for baking. Filippov's son, Dmitry Ivanovich, ran his own fields, where harvesting was carried out by specially trained workers living at the bakery, and water was taken from springs. Part of the premises of Filippov's house was rented out for residential apartments.

Filippovsky was the only bread store that operated during the defense of Tula.


"Natura" in Lomov's house

Address: Sovetskaya, 60

The original construction dates back to the early 19th century. In 1840, Vasily Lomov became the owner of the house and the house acquired a different appearance. The Lomovs Vasily and Ivan are famous Tula merchants, one of the first Tula samovars, whose samovar factory opened in 1812, and in the 1820s the Lomov factory produced from 2 to 10 thousand samovars annually. In 1836, the samovars of the merchant of the 1st guild Vasily Lomov were awarded a silver award at the Moscow manufactory exhibition, and later he received the Order of the Lion and the Sun from the Shah of Persia.

At the beginning of the twentieth century, this house was home to Vladimir Fedorovich Kiselyov's famous fish shop in Tula and Fyodor Ivanovich Knyazev's store, which sold groceries and clothing.

The building was rebuilt again in 1937, it housed an industrial department store, then a children's department store.


"Wine cellar" and "BARY" in the house of Buckwheat

Address: 33 Sovetskaya Street

In 1910, Tula gingerbread manufacturer Vasily Romanovich Grechikhin (1876-1930), having received permission, began to build a 2-storey stone house. In 1911, the construction was completed (the building turned out to be three-storied), after which, a large family settled in the house. Grechikhin had four daughters, Ekaterina, Alexandra, Sofia, Lisa, and three sons, Ivan, Nikolai, and Tikhon.

In 1913, a store was opened in the house. There were gingerbread shops on the second floor, and a grocery store on the ground floor. In the 1970s, the Yantar grocery store was located in the building, and 25 people worked in it. The factory was located on Commercial Street (now Lenin Street) and the output was 3,500 pounds of gingerbread and 2,500 pounds of other confectionery products. By the end of 1917, there were already 9 workers left, and seven times fewer gingerbread were being made. By decree of December 15, 1918, the Buckwheat factory was nationalized. In 1930, Grechikhin died.

The Grechikhin building (Sovetskaya 33) still exists, it houses the Wine Cellar restaurant and the BARY coffee shop.


BRERA restaurant & bar in the estate of merchants Postnikov

Address: Metallistov, 20

Metallistov Street is home to one of the most interesting buildings in the museum quarter, the estate of merchants and hereditary honorary citizens Postnikov, which is located at 20 Metallistov Street.

The estate consists of a one-story brick apartment building with an outbuilding and a two-story brick apartment building with an attached one-story shop on the right. The one-storey house has an appearance typical of the early 19th century. There is an interesting basement hidden in the house, its rooms are covered with cylindrical and closed arches.

In 1918, the owners of the estate were Maria Vasilyevna Postnikova and the heirs of Hillel Meerovich Zafren. The sworn attorney Nikolai Petrovich Postnikov, the son of Peter Alexandrovich Postnikov, who was Tula mayor in 1894-1898, also lived in the building. During the Soviet period, the buildings of the former Postnikov estate were used for housing, and currently there is a restaurant-gallery with an Italian touch – "BRERA".


Doner&Pizza at the Craft house

Address: Lenin ave., 25

The building at Lenin Avenue, 25, is an architectural monument and cultural heritage site of regional significance, "An apartment building with a sales hall of the pharmacist K.A. Kraft, XVIII–XIX centuries. "

The house was built at the end of the XVIII century. Konstantin Kraft, a German pharmacist, was its first owner, and later the owners of the house changed many times, they were: Fedor Laker, Bogdan Panke, Karl Gentzelt, Roman Beyer, Ferdinand Belyavsky.

Now the Kraft House belongs to the Tula Historical and Architectural Museum, which explores the life of the city, creates exhibitions related to visual art, architecture, urbanism, media and design. And, of course, the Doner&Pizza cafe, where you can have a snack.


Salden's Porterhouse at the Diocesan Women's College

Address: Sovetskaya 11

Monument of urban planning and architecture of the city of Tula. In the 19th century, this building housed a Diocesan women's college with a house church and an apartment building.

The first school in Tula and in Russia for the education of orphans of the clergy was founded in 1842, at the expense of Abram Ivanovich Malikov, a famous Tula merchant, hereditary honorary citizen of the city of Tula. For the organization of the educational institution, he donated a house, furniture, money for textbooks and clothes for female students. Initially, the school was located on the territory of the Assumption Convent, but then, when the construction of a new building was completed in 1866, it was moved to Embassy Street (from 1918 to the present day, St. Soviet). Salden'S Porterhouse restaurant, a favorite of Tulyaks and guests of the region, is now located in this building.


Pryanikoff and Entree at the Zolotarev house

Address: 1 Soyuznaya Street

At the beginning of the 20th century, the house belonged to famous Tula entrepreneurs Alexei and Vasily Zolotarev and was rented out as apartments. In March 1920, the house was nationalized, and various trade union organizations were housed in it. Then the house was named the Palace of Labor. A little later, the house turned into a typical example of a Soviet administrative building. At the moment, the Pryanikoff restaurant and the Entree French coffee shop are located in the building.


Respect in the Polutin Apartment Building

Address: Sovetskaya 5

The building dates back to the end of the XVIII century and some names of Tula burghers and merchants are associated with it.

By the end of the 18th century, the site passed into the possession of the Polutins. The Polutins came from Tula gunsmiths.

In 1799, there was a one-story stone house with a clapboard roof and two exits on the estate of A.S. Polutin. The house burned heavily during the fire of 1834 and burned almost to the ground. In the same year, its owner Alexei Sergeev Polutin died. The house had to be sold to a neighbor, a philistine, and then to a merchant, Karp Mokeevich Zelennikov. For a short time, he manages to combine two estates in his possession: his own and the former Polutin estate.

But two years later, Zelennikov went bankrupt and in 1836 his possessions were sold in parts at a stock auction. The former Polutin estate was acquired by merchant Pyotr Stepanov Shemetov.In 1889, the Shemetov estate was acquired by Tula merchants Plotnikov.

In 2010, the building was reconstructed and adapted for modern use. It houses the Respect restaurant.


Mussel place in the Sushkins' house

Address: Metallistov, 14

Alexander and Sergey Alexandrovich Sushkin also owned houses No. 14 and 16. House No. 14 was residential and is a characteristic example of mature Russian classicism of the 30s – 40s of the XIX century. It is connected to a one-story store by a passage arch. Initially, the Sushkin brothers used apartment building No. 16 as a warehouse and shops. There were also Pyatnitsky baths. Now there is a caff in the house with a summer veranda where you can enjoy seafood.