St. Nicholas Church of the town of Aleksin was built in 1787 at the expense of a merchant of the second guild Ivan Savostin and his brothers. The type of building itself belongs to the well-known and widespread churches of the XVIII century.
It is quadrangular with lateral antechurches opened to the center of the very church using high arches and octagon, covered with a high dome with lucarnes,a light tholobate and a dome. There is a small refectory on the west side of the church where the first tier of the bell tower which is nowrestorted, is built. Seems like there is nothing unusual but how fresh and fascinatingly expressive the regular scheme is made in the architecture of the St. Nicholas Church!
An unknown designer of the church had a good sense of proportion and genuine feeling. There is a compositional complexity in the church’s form but there is no congestion. There is an integrity but there is no monotony. The architect paid great attention to the expressiveness of large masses, main divisions and silhouette. At the same time the church is distinguished by the scrupulous elaboration of details.
Triangular gables and cornices with dentals, porticos with two paneled pilasters on the sides and side portals with archery sandriks look confidently and professionally which is felt like the church stands somewhere in the capital. These details give a melodious and slim classicistic sound to the traditionally baroque composition of the church. In the 30s of the XX century the church was closed and its senior priest Father Alexander was arrested and still nothing is known about his further fate*. In 1937, the bell tower and the porch were destroyed.
During the Great Patriotic War, the central altar was completely destroyed by a direct bomb hit. Miraculously, in 1990 the remained undamaged part of the church was transferred to the Russian Orthodox Church in ruins. The first service in the ruined church was performed on August 28, 1990 on the feast of the Dormition of the Mother of God. The restoration work in the church has been regularly and continuously continuing since 1990 to the present day. The church is changing and getting prettier right before our eyes.
On August 13, 2003, the church was completely consecrated after restoration and this day is considered to be the day of the church renewal because the month of the first historic consecration of the St. Nicholas church is not known. Since the transfer of the church to the Russian Orthodox Church in 1990, the church is open to believers every day from 8 am to 8 pm. Since 2001, church services in the temple take place daily.