The Church of Demetrius of Thessaloniki is located at Kladbischensky Lane, 1. Those wishing to visit the church should take a bus and get off at the stop “Ulitsa Industrialnaya”, or go straight ahead instead of turning to Karakozova St. when moving along Venyovskoe highway towards the center of Tula. The road will lead you to the main gate of the church grounds. The Church of Demetrius of Thessaloniki in Tula is located in one of the most secluded spots of the city and is an important historical site of the Chulkovskaya Sloboda and the City of Craftsmen in general.
Tours along necropolises where outstanding people are buried are quite popular nowadays. Monuments, slabs, and crosses that come from the 19th century or even the 18th century are indeed interesting. The Chulkovo cemetery, created in 1790, is one of such places. Here lies the chief mechanic at the Tula Imperial Arms Factory, A. M. Surnin, whose fate repeats the famous Nikolai Leskov's tale of the Left-Hander. Hereditary honorary citizens of Tula, heroes of the Patriotic Wars of 1812 and 1941, chief mechanics and commanders of the Tula Imperial Arms Factory all found their peace here.
In 1795, the construction of the graveyard temple began. It was consecrated in 1801. Later, two side-chapels were added on the sides of the refectory, consecrated in honor of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul and the Nativity of St. John the Baptist. The dome with a single cupola on a blind tholobate is slightly covered by pediments from the south and north. In Soviet times, the Church of St. Demetrius of Thessaloniki was one of the four churches active in Tula on par with the All-Saints Cathedral, the Church of the Savior on the Mount, and the Twelve Apostles Church.
Anyone can visit the Church of Demetrius of Thessaloniki. To find out the schedule of services, please call +7 (4872) 41-21-24. Parishioners and guests of the city who visited this church note that the place is heartwarming, cozy, and peaceful.