The museum was founded in 1873 at the Tula Arms Plant. The museum's collections and exhibits depict the evolution of firearms and weapons from the 14th century to the present. The history of arms production in Tula is also covered. The museum possesses specimens of arms of the Russian army from the 18th-20th centuries, as well as rifles and guns of west European and eastern gunsmiths. Rifles manufactured to commemorate visits to the factory by the tsar and his family are considered masterpieces.
Among modern specimens, special-purpose weapons are of particular interest. The museum's permanent exhibition combines traditional museum displays with modern multimedia technologies: virtual narrators, electronic labels, operation of holographic weapons.
Of particular interest to visitors is the exhibition of Russian military equipment of the second half of the 20th century, on which the armaments developed by the enterprises of the Tula defense complex (Grad rocket launcher and Smerch fire system, self-propelled ZSU-23-4 Shilka self-propelled gun, main The T-80 battle tank and the T-55 medium tank, the infantry fighting vehicle BMP-1P).
All of the following are available for visitors: interactive spaces, computer games on historical and arms topics, master-classes from Tula gunsmiths, performances of the Nesokrushimye theater of military history, air-gun firing range, a gift shop, and a cafe.